There are many different things and items to consider when you are expecting a child. Items start with car seats, strollers and cribs. Each room of your home needs different and special attention during childproofing. In this article we will go over different rooms of the home, and the most important safety items to consider.
When proofing your entire house consider these items for each individual room or your home.
- Outlet covers for every outlet not in use.
- Safety latches for cabinets in the bathroom, kitchen and halls.
- Keep your floors clean from tiny debris that your child could choke on.
The kitchen can be one of the most dangerous rooms in the house. Be sure when you are childproofing to consider things such as;
- Keeping knives and sharp objects out of reach.
- Turning pan handles away from surface edges, so children cannot pull off hot items.
- Store cleaning items in high out-of-reach cabinets with safety latches.
Gates can be just as important in the home as any other safety device.
- Be sure to correctly fit the gate to the opening you are blocking off.
- Gates that are mounted to the wall are safer than pressure gates.
- Be sure to keep electric shavers out of reach.
- Unplug blow-dryers and curling irons when not in use.
- Safety latch cupboards closed.
When childproofing their bedroom be sure and follow these suggestions.
- Consider putting a monitor in the room to monitor when your child is sleeping or awake
- Be sure to never leave anything in their crib that could cause them to choke
- Plug in a nightlight
The importance of keeping your room childproof safe is just as important as the rest of your home.
- Keep jewelry and other small items such as makeup out-of-reach.
- Keep your floor clean so you don’t trip when you are carrying your child.
- If you own a gun, be sure to store it in a handgun safe.
There are many different devices to think about in the home such as the items listed above. However, there is one safety tool that is frequently over looked for the home, and that is a handgun safe. There are too many accidents where gun owners think that their gun is hidden enough that a child could never find it. However, in reality children can find things easier than you might think. Be cautious when owning a handgun, it will pay off in the long run.
By Chanelle Furner