A fireproof box is often a very simple solution to providing safe and secure storage for your valuables. As well as providing protection from fire damage, some models will be waterproof too. This article takes a look at some of the most popular and reliable safe box brands on the market in the area of small portable fireproof boxes that are designed to hold important documents, cash and perhaps a few selected valuable like jewelry.
1. Sentry Safe really is the market leader in this area. The Sentry Safe F2300 is a great little fireproof safe measuring approximately 15 x 15 x 7 inches and weighs roughly 33 lbs or 15 Kg. As well as securing the contents from fire – for 1 hour up to a temperature of 843 degrees Celsius, it has a rubber seal around the lid which ensures it doesn’t leak even when submerged in water.
If you are looking for something even smaller and cheaper too, Sentry Safe have produced the 1160 Fire Safe specifically to size A4 papers. Advertised as a security chest, this fireproof lock box is also great for storing other small items like DVDs and CDs or your passport. It comes with Sentry’s after-fire cover, which means that if the unit is damaged due to fire, it will be replaced free of charge.
2. First Alert produce a good fireproof container range including the small and very affordable 3031F Deluxe Locking Steel Security Box. This does not meet the same fire standards as many other models but does have a fire retardant insulation between two layers of steel. With dimensions of 7 x 12 x 3 inches, it is very small and easy to transport. If you are looking for more protection in the form of a fireproof waterproof safe, consider the 2017F Fire and Water Chest which is also very cheaply priced. They also produce some top opening drawer safes which are very similar in dimensions to the other models we’re considering here. First Alert safes and security boxes were previously branded under the Honeywell logo.
3. Cathedral offer some great compact models such as the A4 Fire and Waterproof Deed Box. Like Sentry Safe, this fireproof box is fire rated independently by Underwriters Laboratories (UL). It comes with a key lock mechanism, carry handle, and will survive unscathed submerged in water for up to 8 hours.
4. Another very affordable option is the range of fireproof storage containers by MMF. These boxes are generally of very simple build and fire resistant rather than truly fireproof, so will typically only protect valuables for a short length of time.
5. Cobalt produce a number of much more steeply priced compact safes and boxes. Some come with a key lock, others with a digital combination door lock mechanism. They are very sturdily made, provide excellent fire protection, and typically a 5 year manufacturers warranty, which is indicative of the quality of these products.
6. Rather than a classic steel fireproof box, US Patrol produces the JB5076 fire resistant document bag made out of fiberglass.
LockState, Master Lock, Neiko and Good Ideas are some other leading fireproof security box brands you may want to check out too. The range of choice for small fire proof box products and safes is simply huge. Shopping on the Internet will get you a really good deal but do shop around, the price of the same product across different suppliers can vary quite a lot. And when checking out safe box brands, remember to check the fire and water ratings, which should be objectively verified by an organization like UL.
Specialist products suitable for a particular use include a fireproof cash box with appropriate compartmentalization, a fireproof file box, ideally designed for holding your key documents, and from 25 gallon fireproof containers to 6.5 gallon small fireproof containers both of which are used as trash cans. The larger is produced by Rubbermaid, the smaller by United Receptacle, among others.